The Site Today: The west side of
M22 near Division Street
This home was one of the first to have both running
water and electricity. The running water came from a horse trough in the
attic filled by a handpump. When the trough was filled, gravity would fill
the sinks below.
About 1914, this house became the home of the Charles Matteson family.
Charles and Ada lived here for 50 years. They added custom woodwork and a
beautiful central staircase believed to be built from wooden grocery
crates. The house still contains some of the original handmade walnut and
cherry furniture built by Charles' brother.
The home was purchased in 1992 and was carefully restored to retain its