A Walk Along Old Lake Street

Tour by Neighborhood

This series of photos, many of them from postcards, shows views along Lake Street in Arcadia, Michigan from the 1900s to 1930s. The photographs are arranged by their position along Lake Street from east to west from M22 to the furniture factory near Lake Michigan. (Also available: More detailed Tour by Neighborhood.)

  1    The East End of Lake Street

Imagine standing on Lake Street just below Sixth Street, shown along the bottom of the map.

Lake Street almost to Sixth Street. View west. Winter.
Sixth Street, also called M22, runs from left to right about half way up the photo.

ArrowDownAt14px Walk a few steps up the street.

Lake Street at Sixth Street Facing West. It's summer.
On the left in the foreground is Matteson Manor built by William Matteson. On the right is the Matteson Store built by William’s brother Charles Matteson. Behind the Matteson Store is the Wareham Store and Macabee Hall.

North ArrowRightAt14px1903PlatMapLocation1

ArrowDownAt14px Cross Sixth Street. Look at the north side of the street.




Buildings along Lake Street Near Sixth Street
From right to left as if you were walking up the street are the Charles P. Matteson store, the Wareham store, Irwin's Blacksmith Shop, a house (hidden among the trees), and the Arcadia High School just barely visible in the background. 

  2    The Fifth Street Neighborhood

ArrowDownAt14px Walk west on Lake Street toward Fifth Street.

ArrowDownAt14px Look west.



ArrowDownAt14px Stand in Lake Street just before Fifth Street. Look left.


Lake Street at 5th facing west
The twin buildings in the background right are Arcadia's twin schools at the corner of Lake Street and 4th Street. The photo was taken prior to 1910, when the twin schools were moved, and Arcadia High School was built at that location. 


ArrowDownAt14px Walk west half way to Fourth Street. Look left.


The Lang Gas Station
Ted Lang sold Sinclair gas on the corner of 5th Street and Lake Street. In the background between Fifth Street and Fourth Street is a vacant lot with a movie screen used in the summer for free movies. Four buildings that had been on that lot along Lake Street burned to the ground.


ArrowDownAt14px Look ahead toward Fourth Street.


The Beaver Store
This building was on the south side of Lake Street between Fifth and Fourth Streets. Built in 1900, this building changed hands several times and finally burned.


ArrowDownAt14px From Lake Street near Fourth, look to the right.


One of the Twin Schools
Before Arcadia High School was built, one of the twin schools was moved across the street to the northwest corner of Lake Street and Fourth Street. The Preston Saloon had been on this site, until it burned in the spring of 1897.


ArrowDownAt14px Look farther to the right.


Lake Street and 4th Street Looking Northwest
This is where the twin schools were before they were moved. One was moved across Fourth Street. The other one, the old Burnham School, was moved to Third Street temporarily and finally to the northwest corner of Oak and Third Streets, where the building is today.


  3    The Fourth Street Neighborhood

ArrowDownAt14px Walk west on Lake Street to Fourth Street.

ArrowDownAt14px Standing in the school tower, look to the southwest.


Arcadia High School
Built in 1910, this was the school for all public school students in Arcadia, not just high school students. 


ArrowDownAt14px Look up Lake Street toward Third Street.


High School Tower View
This is the intersection of Lake Street and Fourth Street. Note the platform across Lake Street next to the wide path that was Fourth Street. The house on the corner is the Boss house. The Lutheran Church is in the distance.


ArrowDownAt14px Walk up Lake Street toward the market.


Lake Street and 4th Street Looking West
On the left is the Arcadia Meat Market. On the right, the sign says "Drug Store."


ArrowDownAt14px Look west up Lake Street again.


The Arcadia Meat Market
This building was on the south side of Lake Street about half way between Fourth and Third Streets.


ArrowDownAt14px Look to the right.


Lake Street Next to the Meat Market Looking West
The banner crossing the street advertises Columbia Phonographs. Barely visible at the end of the street is the Company Store.


ArrowDownAt14px Walk to Third Street. Look right.


Meitz Barber Shop
Across from the Arcadia Meat Market where the museum is located today, stood the Meitz Barber Shop.


  4    The Third Street Neighborhood

ArrowDownAt14px Walk west on Lake Street to Third Street.

ArrowDownAt14px Look up Lake Street toward Second Street.


William H. Ebert General Merchandise

The vacant lot adjacent to the museum at the corner of Lake and Third was the site of the Ebert General Store. Owned and operated by William and Arthur Ebert, the store carried a complete line of mens' and ladies' clothing, shoes, dry goods, and general merchandise. The second floor of the building was used as a meeting place for the Masonic Lodge. The store closed in 1941, and the building was torn down.

In the photo left to right: unknown, Carl Marowsky, Bill Larsen, William Ebert (proprietor), and Jack Rigling


ArrowDownAt14px Walk a few steps closer to Second Street. Look right.


Lake Street and Third Street Looking West
From here you can just barely see the Company Store in the distance. On the left through the trees you can barely see the buildings used for the bank or post office and drug store.


ArrowDownAt14px Look left.


Shafer Store Front
This building was built to be an ice cream parlor by Orrie Lyons with bricks made in the cement block factory located on Oak Street. It has been home to many businesses but was best known as Schafer and Son Meat Market. In 1966, Schafers moved their business to M22 and Lake St., and the building stood empty until it was purchased in 1990. The storefront space was donated to serve as the temporary home of the Arcadia Area Historical Society. It has recently been renovated.


  5     The Second Street Neighborhood

ArrowDownAt14px Walk west on Lake Street to Second Street.

ArrowDownAt14px Look up Lake Street toward First Street.


Post Office and Drug Store
The drug store (on the right) was built by Donat J. Martineau. After his death in 1924, his brother Albert inherited the business. For a time, the building had the only telephone in Arcadia; Albert personally delivered telephone and Western Union messages. Utility bills were paid here, hunting and fishing licenses were issued here, and Greyhound Bus passengers arrived and departed from this location. The soda fountain was a favorite gathering place. The post office, which was previously a bank, and drug store are now a privately owned residence.


ArrowDownAt14px Walk a little closer to Second Street.


Lake Street almost to Second Street Looking West
In the middle of the photo, the wide path to the left is Second Street. The Company Store in the background is at Lake and First Street.


ArrowDownAt14px Walk to Second Street.  Look right.


Almost to Second Street
The building on the right is the Foster Hotel.


ArrowDownAt14px The view with younger, smaller trees


The Foster House

The light colored building identified here as the Foster Hotel stood at the northwest corner of Lake Street and Second Street. Hidden behind the trees on the left is the Ruprecht Hotel.

The Louis Foerster Hotel, later known as the Foster House or Foster Hotel, was constructed for use as a lumberjack boarding house and consisted of two large buildings. One was for sleeping and dining. The other was a dance hall, saloon, and a small bank.

Carl Pickert operated the Foster House saloon. He purchased the hotel from Louis Foerster about 1920. The Pickert Hotel buildings were demolished in 1930. Pickert Park was dedicated on the site in the summer of 1955 as part of Arcadia's 75th Anniversary Celebration.


ArrowDownAt14px Walk past the hotels. Look Right.


Ruprecht Hotel and Foster House
This photo was taken when the trees were still small. The Ruprecht Hotel is on the left next to the Foster House.


  6    The West End of Lake Street

ArrowDownAt14px Walk west on Lake Street to First Street (immediately above Second Street in the map).

ArrowDownAt14px Look straight ahead at the end of the street.


Rubel House
Carl Rubel came to America from Germany in 1882 and, after a short stay in Pennsylvania, lived in Arcadia for 39 years. He worked as a laborer for the railway and in the Starke sawmill.


ArrowDownAt14px Wait a few years.


Almost the End of Lake Street: The Company Store
This building stood at the foot of Lake Street and was owned by the Starke Land & Lumber Company. Behind the building was the company barn that housed many of the horses the company used.


ArrowDownAt14px Back up, and climb fifty feet up a tree.


Henry Behrens & Son
This is the same building shown above but later when the business was managed by Henry Behrens.


ArrowDownAt14px Walk past First Street and to the right of the Company Store.


An Aerial View of the Company Store
Lake Street bends to the North a bit. Behind the store is the factory for the Arcadia Furniture Company.


ArrowDownAt14px Walk past the factory and look back.


Northeast Corner of Furniture Factory
Note the railway passenger car on the left. The sign on the corner of the building says "A & B R RY CO." This is the train station for the west end of the Arcadia & Betsey River Railway Company.



The Arcadia Furniture Company's Factory
This is a view east back to the factory and town beyond. Note the Lutheran Church steeple in the background.

Tour by Neighborhood