The Lutheran School

Next | Previous | Return to Start

The first Lutheran school classes were held at the Starke Sawmill in the northern part of the second floor. The pastor, Rev. H. Schmidt was the first teacher.

Several years following the construction of the church in 1888, the congregation began to make plans for the construction of a parochial school, even though they had a debt of $1600, which was significant at the time. A small school was built north of the Church, and on October 10, 1892 the pastor began teaching in the new school, the small part of the present Parish Hall. On August 12, 1897 Pastor J. Schinnerer installed Adolph Hoffmeyer. He would be the parochial school teacher until 1918. In 1904 the congregation built a new house north of the school for the teacher, and the pastor's house, which had been given by H. Starke, was extensively renovated.

After several years the school building was not big enough for the number of children who attended. So in 1906 a new 26 ft. x 44 ft. school was built with a small tower and basement. What had been the old school was used for confirmation classes.



Each morning at 8:15 am, the bell in the tower called kids to school. Classes started promptly at 8:30 am. At first classes were taught in German, but beginning around 1936 classes were taught in English.

The church continued to support a parochial school until 1937 when it had to close due to a declining population and lack of funds. In 1944 the school was reopened and operated until 1946 when it was permanently closed. The school benches were donated to the public school. Presently the building houses the parish hall, Sunday school, kitchen, and church office.


Trinity Lutheran Church is in the foreground. The school is behind the church. Note the children in front of the school. -- Postcard with no description on the back. Photographer unknown. 

Next | Previous | Return to Start